A reasonable amount of homework, according to grade level, is of great educational value and so is assigned every day. Assignments are not always written. Study and memory work are frequently assigned. Homework is assigned on a regular basis to:
• enrich school experiences
• provide practice and review
• develop good study habits
• teach responsibility, and
• foster originality.
The Diocese recommends the following time schedule for home study:
Primary (levels 1-3) 30 minutes
Intermediate (levels 4-5) 45 minutes
Upper Elementary (levels 6-8) 1 – 1-1/2 hours
• Carefully listen and read the instructions.
• Record homework assignments into assignment book.
• Take home necessary books and materials.
• Complete and turn in all assignments on time.
• Be neat; use correct headings.
• Review all assignments for mistakes before turning them in.
• DO NOT copy or cheat.
• Remind parents to look over homework and sign assignment book if necessary.
• Provide a well-lit, quiet study area away from distractions.
• Establish daily routines and specific blocks of time reserved for homework.
• Take an interest in your child’s work, offering reinforcement and assistance as needed.
• Notify the teacher in writing if there was an emergency situation that prevented homework from being completed.
• Check completion of student’s work and sign homework assignment book if necessary.
• Monitor your child’s progress through the online grade book program.
• Review, sign, and return report cards.
• Participate in conferences as needed.
All classroom work and homework must be completed before a student is permitted to attend field trips, school assemblies, and all extracurricular activities or functions.
Homework will not be given before family vacations. However, the student will receive the assignments upon returning and be given sufficient time to complete it based on the teachers’ discretion.
In case of a student's absence, requests for homework should be made by calling the school office before 9:00 a.m. and may be picked up after 2:15 p.m.